Monday 26 May 2014

The Hour's Getting Late

My journey abroad has come to an end. I’m writing this blog from Vancouver airport, which as Joe has delighted in telling me for the last few weeks, is lovely. There are fish tanks and trees, and a stream going through the lounge, so I have to admit it’s pretty nice. From Fairfax via Washington D.C., New York, Marion, Montreal, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Toronto, San Francisco, Seattle and finally to Vancouver, the year is done- But the last week has been a good one…

It’s a big change going from San Francisco, which is definitely more of a tourist hotspot to Seattle, which isn’t really a typical holiday destination. It is famously rainy, so we were amazed to have brilliant sunshine for our two days there. Our accommodation wasn’t so generous- to stay as cheap as possible the five of us were in an RV, parked in an alleyway a few miles outside the city…It was a step up from the hostel to be fair, but I’m in no rush to go back!




The most obvious Seattle landmark is the Space Needle, a tower overlooking the city, but we gave it a miss and went for the EMP Museum. Standing for Experience Music Project, it’s a stunning building that celebrates rock music and popular culture, and was undoubtedly my favourite museum I’ve visited. The Smithsonian institutions had culture and art, but this was contemporary and a lot of fun. We saw exhibitions on Nirvana, Hendrix in London, a gallery of the history of the guitar and best of all an area where you could play instruments and make your own recordings, which was huge fun. Me, Emily and Ross where a bit lost but Joe was in his element- although I have to say, I think our rendition of Timber was stronger than his Maggie’s Farm!


On the pop culture front the museum looked at some of my favourite genres- science fiction, horror and fantasy, and I was in my geek element. Original costumes, props and artwork from everything from Game of Thrones, Alien, Doctor Who, Fables, Star Trek, The Wizard of Oz, The Terminator, Battlestar Galactica and The Princess Bride was there and I didn’t expect to see so much great stuff. It’s a theme of this year for many of us travellers that the best sights or experiences are the ones that we didn’t know about already, the unknown things that surprised us, and this museum was one of the best.



Then again, other than the Space Needle I didn’t know anything about Seattle so everything was unexpected and great to see. The waterfront and amazing library were examples but the main one was Pike Place Market. Near the seafront it’s a fantastic place full of incredibly friendly people who made what was basically walking through a market a lot of fun. A second-hand bookstore owner gave advice on how to live life (pick something you enjoy, and if it doesn’t work out its ok to change), the fishmongers sang for every big order and threw fish across the counter, and we saw the very first Starbucks, a tiny place with old lettering which gave us way too many coffee shops… but on the plus side, so much free Wi-Fi! The best moment was an old man selling artwork he had done, including on fridge magnets. I bought a few and showed the others who thought they were also great, so we went back and got a few more. The man was so happy I’d brought more people back he gave me a “commission” of a free magnet (“I’m the boss, I can do what I want!”). It was a small thing but it really made my day. These people were incredibly friendly and sold some great stuff, what else could you ask from a market?


One last long coach journey took us across the border as I left the U.S. for the last time on this trip, and returned to Canada for the first time on the West Coast. When I first came here I had no real ambitions for travelling, so the idea I’d go to Canada three times would have been ridiculous, and here I am finishing my journey here. And Vancouver is a great city, quite small, surrounded by spectacular mountains and views and rich in multiculturalism. It might be the most diverse place I’ve been to on the West Coast. We stayed just outside Chinatown, and a lot of the artwork around the town called back to the traditions of native peoples. It’s not really a tourist destination, and without a car we couldn’t explore the surrounding nature, but at this point we are all pretty tired so that’s alright. It’s been good to take a few days to relax, not worry about squeezing in as much activity as possible although we did see a lot of this city, and get ready to go home.






When I left George Mason about a week and a half ago (has it only been that long?!) I was really sad to be leaving, and I didn’t feel like my time in America should be about to come to an end. This trip to the other side of the continent has been fantastic, packed, tiring, eye-opening and most of all fun, and it’s helped me get prepared for home. Doing so much in such a short amount of time has felt like an epic journey, and I’ve shared it with some great people. I’ve met amazing people from all over the world, but some of the best have been the fellow Brits I met at Mason, and who saw the West Coast with me. Enjoy the rest of your trip guys as you make a few more stops before Britain welcomes us home.




So see you later Ross, the full-on Scot with a kilt who doesn’t really sound that Scottish, are you sure you’re not American? Emily, who has been there from drinking apple pie flavoured moonshine around a bonfire in South Virginia to us trying to figure out how to kayak around the Potomac on the hottest day of the year, I’ll see you for karaoke eventually! And Joe and Georgia, my fellow Leicester students who I didn’t really know but waited hours for me in the airport anyway. Our search for Walmart feels like a long time ago now! I’m glad we made it out those study rooms alive Georgia, and there’ve been too many jokes to remember Joe (I can never think about Bob Dylan without laughing again). Still don’t like your jacket though…. Thanks to all of you guys for a great year from the first day to the last, and I’ll see you back home.


So this actually is the proper end of the Year Abroad… I feel like I have to capitalise it, for so long it was this abstract thing I was working up to, probably since Summer 2010 when I was picking my University course. Most people will tell you it’s gone so fast, but for me it feels like a long time ago that I really realised what I was getting into. It was halfway through the first plane here, I’d watched about 2 films and it hit me for the first time that I was doing this massive undertaking alone, knowing nobody. 9 months later that day seems like a long time ago, and the experiences that have followed have made this, I think I can honestly say, the best year of my life. Leaving Mason I felt like it was over and was very downbeat, but after this West Coast adventure it feels right this time has come to an end. And in whatever shape or form the next adventure comes, I look forward to it.

Until then, London’s Calling…


A

No comments:

Post a Comment